1. Keep the area clean to prevent infection
- Wash hands before and after diapering.
- Apply a generous amount of Vaseline on a 4 x 4 gauze pad with each diaper change for the first 48 hours after the circumcision.
- No direct cleansing or using baby wipes on the penis until healed unless penis has fecal material on it. Then wash gently with water.
- Keep baby's hands and knees away from the area when diapering
2. Appearance of the circumcised penis
- The head of the penis will appear quite red for 48 hours.
- A swollen doughnut-like area just under the head if the penis may be seen.
- A blood clot may form on the underside of the head of the penis. DO NOT TOUCH THE CLOT
3. Possible complications include:
- Active bleeding
- apply direct pressure for 5 minutes with a sterile 4 x 4 gauze pad
- if bleeding continues, reapply direct pressure with fresh gauze
- call me
- Signs of infection
- if there is any pus, foul odor, fever, increased redness, or swelling after healing has begun
- if healing takes longer than 72 hours
- call me
- Delay in urination past 6 hours
- If gauze dressing sticks to the penis
- soak the gauze with water before removing it